1 swim, 1 run , 1 bike each week | 80/20 Endurance

1 swim, 1 run , 1 bike each week

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    alanfeekery
    Participant

As the title says, 1 swim, 1 run, 1 bike is my current training schedule. It can’t change due to work & family life. I can get to the pool Tuesday nights (1 hour), I can get out Thursday mornings for a run (2 hours) and I can get a cycle Saturday mornings (3 hours) with a brick afterwards (30 minutes).

I started triathlon 3 years ago and before that cycled for 5 years so I have a decent level of base fitness.

This training schedule is around 5 and half hours a week but flies in the face of 80/20 rules where in the book it’s called out loud and clear that you have to do each sport twice a week to see improvements.

Unsurprisingly a lot of the work I do falls into ZX, fairly sure I’m your classic moderate intensity rut athlete.

So my question is, should I apply 80/20 training to what I am doing? I’ve had a go at creating workouts that are 80/20 that fit my schedule. Cruise intervals for example:

Swim Cruise Intervals: SCI-2500
    200 Z1
    800 Z2
    100×5@Z3
    800 Z2
    200 Z1

Run Cruise Intervals: RCI-120
    5m Z1
    43m Z2
    10m Z3, 2m Z1 x2
    43m Z2
    5m Z1

Cycle Cruise Intervals: CCI-180
    5m Z1
    67m Z2
    7m Z3, 2m Z1 x4
    67m Z2
    5m Z1

Keen to hear thoughts on this approach.

• This topic was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by alanfeekery.
    Matt Fitzgerald
    Keymaster

I think you’ll get slightly better results from doing one workout each week that is really focused on moderate/high intensity, another workout with just a dusting of work at moderate/high intensity, and a third workout that is done entirely at low intensity. Obviously, in this scenario you’d want to rotate from week to week, so that each discipline gets its turn to be emphasized. You’ll get a little further within your existing constraints by making one workout per week a real ball-buster.

alanfeekery
    Participant

Thanks Matt, and I assume regardless each week still adds up to 80/20?

Matt Fitzgerald
    Keymaster

That’s right.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

25% Off

All Training Plans, Subscriptions, and Events

December 28 and 29 only!

Use coupon codes at checkout

25CyberMon1

or

25CyberMon2