2021 Season Planning | 80/20 Endurance

2021 Season Planning

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    ChrisBatty
    Participant

Hello,

I have a question about planning my 2021 season and would just like the forums opinion on nailing/executing my plan.

Using the 70.3 Level 1 Pace and Bike power Training plan I hope to compete in:

08 May IRONMAN 70.3 ALCÚDIA-MALLORCA (1 week of rest/holiday after event)
    13 Jun IRONMAN 70.3 STAFFORDSHIRE (Deferral From 2020)
    15 Aug 70.3 Scottish Championships Aberfeldy (Not signed up for yet, could miss)
    04 Sep The ROC (1500M swim 50k bike out 12km up/down Snowdon Mountain 50km bike back)
    23 Oct IRONMAN PORTUGAL (planning on using the Level 1 Ironman plan for this)

Now I Realise this may be a big demand for next year but I am committed to making up for this years disaster of a year ( 10 races signed up for 0 competed in)

How would I work in these races to my training plan?
    and should I pull out of races so I am fresh for others?

Keen to get the insight and opinion from the forum.

Kind Regards

Chris

David Warden
    Keymaster

Chris, what a season! I love it. Can you reply with the priority of each race (A, B, C). If they are all A races, I can work with that, I just need to know if some happen to be more important than the others.

David

ChrisBatty
    Participant

Hi David,

Thanks for the reply, heres the ABC For the season

08 May IRONMAN 70.3 ALCÚDIA-MALLORCA A race
    13 Jun IRONMAN 70.3 STAFFORDSHIRE B Race
    15 Aug 70.3 Scottish Championships Aberfeldy B/C Race (still undecided on signing up)
    04 Sep The ROC C Race
    23 Oct IRONMAN PORTUGAL A Race

Thanks for all your help

Chris

David Warden
    Keymaster

Chris, thank you. It’s not too much, well spaced out. Some recommendations:

– Load your plan for Mallorca as normal, end date of May 8 (love this race, I was the top American in 2014 in a field of 300 Americans…)
    – Take a week off, then load the final 4 weeks of the plan again for Staffordshire. You can actually make this an A race instead of B.
    – Take one or two weeks off, then load the IM plan with an Oct 23 end date.
    – Aberfeldy and ROC becomes just another training day
    – Report back here how your season went!

David

ChrisBatty
    Participant

Thanks for your advice!

Means a lot to have someone with your knowledge and expertise at hand to help.

Kind Regards

Chris

ChrisBatty
    Participant

Hi David,

As you may know 70.3 Mallorca has been cancelled (as well as the Holiday/rest week) thus throwing my training off a little from what we discussed above.

The Stafford 70.3 race is still on as of yet, so my question is how do I adapt/extend my training plan so that I taper well and hit my peak on the 13th of June.

Kind Regards

Chris

David Warden
    Keymaster

Ah, Mallorca. I had a breakout race there in 2014 and was the top American. Of course, among European athletes that’s like saying I was the tallest midget.

So sorry to hear about the cancellation.

You are on Week 8 right now for what was a May 8 event date. I would finish this week as normal, then reload the plan with the June 13 event end date and pick up right there. There is no disadvantage to just repeating 4-5 weeks early on in the plan, and it extends your plan from 18 to 23-ish week, which is within the recommended total time for a formal training plan.

David

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.