70.3 during Ironman L1 plan | 80/20 Endurance

70.3 during Ironman L1 plan

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    seth.johnson
    Participant

I’ve read the Planning Your Race Season article, which is a great resource. I’m registered to do Ironman Texas April 23, 2022. My original plan was to do the Level 2 Ironman plan. It perfectly lined up for me to run The Woodlands half marathon March 5, then do Ironman 70.3 in Galveston April 3.

After reviewing the level 2 plan, it seemed unrealistic for me to fit strength training in and do the training. I find I’m much more durable if I do the strength plan, so I dropped to level 1 and bought the strength plan. Based on the Planning Your Race Season article, I shouldn’t do a 70.3 on the Level 1 plan.

Here’s my question: Would it be totally crazy to swap weeks 18 and 19 and go ahead and do the 70.3 if I’m doing the Level 1 plan with strength training?

Matt Fitzgerald
    Keymaster

I don’t think its’ crazy, but you’ll want to make more nuanced adjustments than simply swapping weeks. Specifically, you’ll want to make use of half- and semi-recovery weeks as described in Chapter 8 of 80/20 TRIATHLON to make sure you don’t go too long without a recovery week or too many weeks without a recovery week.

seth.johnson
    Participant

Thanks Matt, I’ll do that!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

25% Off

All Training Plans, Subscriptions, and Events

December 28 and 29 only!

Use coupon codes at checkout

25CyberMon1

or

25CyberMon2