80/20 half marathon for beginner | 80/20 Endurance

80/20 half marathon for beginner

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    marjoejoejoe
    Participant

Hi Guys,

I feel like i could push the pace up more, but i get HR zone warnings already pushing to zone 3.

This is the endurance run zone 1 to zone 2.

Did I get my heart rate threshold wrong? The recommended pace is 7:52 and im averaging 8:52

David Warden
    Keymaster

M,

I think you and I may have corresponded by e-mail as well earlier today? If so, I have a couple more thoughts, if not, thee thoughts still apply…

If you read our guide Getting Started with 80/20 Training and identified zones per the document Intensity Guidelines for Running and then setup those zones in TP per the document Understanding Your TrainingPeaks Structured Workout Plan then I’m confident in your zones.

Remember, 80% of your training with 80/20 Endurance is easy, so most of your runs you’ll feel like you could have left more on the road. Hold back for the 20% where you can really gain new fitness because you are not overtrained.

One thing I did not see in your original message was the HR zone warnings you referred to. That is not a TP nor an 80/20 feature, that is straight Garmin and it is not liked to your custom zones. Just turn those alerts off for training on your device. You can only set one alert threshold in Garmin, so it is not helpful for zone training where you will be in as many as 4 zones in a single workouts session.

Also, TP assumes that you will run at 75% penetration into your zone (the Planned Pace). You can ignore that too, as it is just a guess from TP. A successful 80/20 workout will have you anywhere from the bottom to the top of the zone, and that is still a successful workout.

David

marjoejoejoe
    Participant

Im on a Coros Pace 2 and the monitor actually adjusts to the HR zones set in Training Peaks. So it triggers a warning when i go above that for a set zone. I’ll try to do a retest, but im leaning towards switching my current plan to Pace or Power instead…is that possible?

marjoejoejoe
    Participant

Im on a Coros Pace 2 and the monitor actually adjusts to the HR zones set in Training Peaks. So it triggers a warning when i go above that for a set zone. I’ll try to do a retest, but im leaning towards switching my current plan to Pace or Power instead…is that possible?

David Warden
    Keymaster

M,

Can you confirm for me if this is the experience you are having with the Coros?

– Your warmup is Zone 1 (119 to 134 bmp, for example). Your Coros will beep if you go below 119 or above 134.
    – Your next segment is Zone 2 (134 to 149). Your Coros switches and will now alert you if you fall below 134 or above 149.
    – Your next segment is a Zone 3 interval (149 to 157 bmp). Your alerts will now occur below 149 and above 157.

This does not happen with Garmin, where Garmin ignores any alerts outside it’s own alerts set on the device. Only one static range is all that is allowed on a Garmin. For example, you could set the alert to beep outside your Zone 2, but when you do Zone 3 intervals it will not change and beep at you non-stop.

It would be amazing if Coros and TP found a way for the alerts to be dynamic, and float with the workout. I don’t have a Coros to test with, but if you are saying that Coros alerts follow the workout and adjust, that is awesome.

And, yes, I think we have corresponded by e-mail as well on switching to Pace/Power. Visit https://www.8020endurance.com/contact/ and select the Level Guarantee to make that switch. If you do, please report if the Pace and Power alerts also dynamically change with Pace or Power.

David

marjoejoejoe
    Participant

– Your warmup is Zone 1 (119 to 134 bmp, for example). Your Coros will beep if you go below 119 or above 134.
    – Your next segment is Zone 2 (134 to 149). Your Coros switches and will now alert you if you fall below 134 or above 149.
    – Your next segment is a Zone 3 interval (149 to 157 bmp). Your alerts will now occur below 149 and above 157.

This is indeed my experience with Coros Pace 2. Which is great

I just got a Stryd, and will switch to Power training

marjoejoejoe
    Participant

also confirming that , pace has the same user experience…..i just got a stryd, will test out if its the same as coros and stryd have native compatibility

David Warden
    Keymaster

M,

Thank you! I’ll have to get a Coros and start testing this out. This is a huge improvement that the other devices don’t yet support (dynamic alerts!).

David

Bstarr
    Participant

David,

When you say other devices don’t support are you specifically talking about heart rate.

I’ve just started using my Garmin Vivoactive 4. It has an integrated Training Peaks sync which downloads the TP structured workout everyday complete with pace zones entered into TP. I’ll confirm, but I swear I on my run last night I was getting both Pace too High and Pace too low alerts.

winoria

Thank you! I’ll have to get a Coros and start testing this out. This is a huge improvement that the other devices don’t yet support (dynamic alerts!).

I already tried a Coros Apex Pro. I returned it for a few minor and one major reason: it does not support structured workouts on indoor runs or indoor rides. Only outdoor. That’s a huge issue IMO.
    If the wahoo Rival wouldn’t have died 3 times in one year, it would have been the ideal watch….as long as you don’t need the fancy things Like VO2 max etc that Garmin offers…no sleep tracking or so either
    The wahoo even supported structured swim workouts…
    Anyways, I’m back at Garmin :-/

winoria

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 5 days ago by winoria.
    David Warden
    Keymaster

bstarr,

Out of the box, Garmin always an alert set, but that’s a “static alert” that won’t change as your structured workout progresses. For example, an alert at the top of Zone 2 is appropriate when the workout segment is in Zone 2, but when you switch to the Zone 3 interval segment, the alert does not change and your watch is beeping for the entire Zone 3 set.

My comment of “not supported” applies to all devices other than Coros, but if you are saying that your Garmin changes the upper alert level throughout the workout, that’s what @marjoejoejoe is reporting too on her Coros.

I just e-mailed my contact at TP to ask for clarification on if this is a new feature and if so, which devices it is supported on.

David

Bstarr
    Participant

David,

I’m working on finding out more about this.

You may know already, but Garmin no longer uses the TP connect IQ app. TP now directly syncs with the Garmin calendar. You don’t need an extra app, just the Garmin setup in TP.

When performing a calendar based workout, the watch displays the current segment with adjusted pace range targets based on what is in TP. During this process, the watch gives “Pace Too High” and “Pace Too Low” alerts. I’m assuming that these are based on the pace target that comes from TP but I haven’t verified that.

This is a great feature, but I’m having issues with it being accurate. The pace is not tracking what my pace actually is and I’m getting alerts when my pace is in the middle of my target zone. I’m working with Garmin on trying to figure out what is going on.

David Warden
    Keymaster

All, I just received confirmation from TP that a relatively new software update on most devices now supports this dynamic alerts feature.

Any device that can display planned workouts will alert users when they are outside of the interval range, but the feature must be enabled. On a Garmin device go to menu> training> workouts> select a workout> do workout> then hit the top right button to bring up the menu> alerts> enable workout target alerts.

Coros has a similar setting on some devices, but TP could not confirm the menu option.

David

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.