80/20 Plan right for me with ADS or do I need to build aerobic base first? | 80/20 Endurance

80/20 Plan right for me with ADS or do I need to build aerobic base first?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

I would love to sign up with an 80/20 plan, but I am not sure if this is the right time for me. I understand that my aerobic system is severely down, I estimate my AeT (aerobic threshold) is somewhere around 125 HR, along with a painfully slow pace of +12min/mile. My question is, should I first build my aerobic capacity for the next three months using something like MAF method to get out of the aerobic “hole” I’m in and then start an 80/20 marathon plan, or would I be able to improve my aerobic capacity just as effectively if I started with an 80/20 plan right away? I am asking because some people advocate against pairing low-intensity work with higher intensity (HR) workouts as it’s expected to undermine aerobic capacity training.

David Warden
    Keymaster

CH,

Thanks for posting on our forums.

Short answer: I don’t think it is a bad idea to dedicated a period of time to only aerobic training. I think it is a better idea to start with the 80/20 system.

Long answer: I like MAF, it has some good stuff, but I think the 80/20 system is superior to building aerobic base.

Where MAF and 80/20 agree is that you need a LOT of aerobic work. The difference is that they say 100%, and we say 80%.

I am not aware of any empirical research that supports excluding high intensity until aerobic base is built. I would love to see it, and am opening to change my mind, but I have not been presented with this information.

I am aware of significant research that support that the best athletes in the world use the 80/20 system, and that high intensity intervals is a critical component of improving performance.

It’s possible that for some athletes, a brief period of exclusive aerobic training will provide superior results, I’m not aware of that.

It begs the question: do elite athletes use the 80/20 system because they happen to respond to it better than non-elites? Or does the 80/20 system make them elite? Maybe the 80/20 system only works for….80% of the population? I don’t know.

Check out our Testimonials (anecdotal evidence!) and you’ll find that 80/20 seems to work for a wide variety of individuals.

David

Thank you, David! I appreciate you taking the time to clarify. Signing up for 80/20 level 1 marathon now.

How can I get the premium strength plan along with the 80/20? On TP website they show the 80/20 and only mention the strength plan, but I cannot select it for purchase.

Never mind, just found it under “all plans from the author”.

Charles
    Participant

One “trick” I found that works for me is to enter a reduced Threshold value into Training Peaks when I am training for a “B” race, or returning after a break.

A retired old guy, I have flexibility to enter into the higher level plans, but I only run hard races once or twice a year. As a result my race times are a poor estimate of my threshold and I struggle to execute the plans without some preparation.

I will take up to 20-30 seconds off my estimated threshold pace/km which allows me to build the aerobic capacity and gain confidence for the next (real) segment and get the 80/20 benefits in terms of overall fitness and running efficiencies.

I think the new “Talk Test” may change my strategy since it seems to be self regulating, I’m just not sure yet that it accurately reflects neural muscular conditioning.

David Warden
    Keymaster

@ch.herriman@gmail.com Also, I think our 80/20 website does a better job of sorting the plans than the TP store. See https://www.8020endurance.com/training-plans/ and it categorizes all our plans by type, including stregnth.

David

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.