I am trying to find a way to balance some of the workload as I progress in my Half training plan L3.
I know Foundation Runs help build cardio fitness & Recovery Runs help flush the muscles of metabolites, and I don’t plan to sub all of them but to manage the consequences of high mileage here in Florida where it’s almost all concrete (shin splints) and hot/humid weather in Spring/Summer (exhaustion), I am trying to find a level of substitution that will still be accretive.
In Training Peaks I can see the TSS each Foundation/Recovery Run provides… is it ok I replace SOME FR/RR each month with about the same TSS with these with:
1. Low intensity cycling (assuming yes)
2. Swimming (swimming is my sweet spot so this is easy to do at a low intensity)
3. Hot yoga (max 2-3x per month)?
4. Strength training (30-45m per session)?
Is there a somewhat acceptable level of replacement for the FR/RRs each week?
Trying to figure out a way to maintain building fitness but avoiding the injuries that sideline me for days at a time.
– Strength training: yes, absolutely.
– Hot yoga: I don’t know. In theory, sure. But I’ve not read literature on this as an effective cross training exercise for runners the way swimming, cycling and strength training are documented.