How slow is too slow? | 80/20 Endurance

How slow is too slow?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #8005
    ltdata1974
    Participant

    Hi

    I’m 45 years old, 255lbs, and am on week 6 of the 80/20 Running: 2020 Edition Marathon Level 1 (3.5 to 6.5 Hours per Week) using HR as zone training. I’m pretty sure my zones are set up correctly. The issue is I go so low that the long runs are taking a long time and I am getting very tired after a few hours. After the first hour, it is not possible to run and keep my heart rate in zone2. I have to alternate between running and walking to keep it that low. But that just makes it take longer. The 9 mile run on Sunday took 2hr and 25min and I was bone-tired for the rest of the day and most of Monday. I ran the 90 minutes and then moved to a run/walk for the last hour. Today’s RFF4 wasn’t bad and this looks like a rest week (the long run being 7 miles).

    Does this plan work for old, slow, and fat? I’m not quitting so I guess we will find out… just asking for any advice from anybody who has done this and is in a similar situation starting out 😉

    #8006
    David Warden
    Keymaster

    I,

    Old? Nope, we are the same age so I know you’re not old. Slow? No way! Slower than some, but not slow. Fat? “Muscular” or “thick” is the word I think you are looking for.

    There is nothing wrong with a run/walk combo, if the walking is an exception and no more than 20% of the workout. I walk most of my Zone 5 interval recoveries, for example. One thing Matt and I continue to discover is that the slow of the 80/20 system can truly be really, really slow.

    However, I think the best solution for you would be to not use HR, but instead use Pace. Your experiencing significant cardiac drift, which is normal for newer runners. But it wreaks havoc on your intensity adherence (say that sentence 10 times really fast).

    Switching to Pace means you don’t have to deal with a finicky HR value that changes with time or the ambient temperature. It should allow you to more confidently remain in Zone 1 and 2.

    You can always switch to a Pace plan for free at https://www.8020endurance.com/contact/

    David

    #8008
    ltdata1974
    Participant

    David,

    Thank you for the follow up. I will reach out and give the pace based training plan a shot. I have enjoyed the book and training plans so far.

    #8225
    KP
    Participant

    “There is nothing wrong with a run/walk combo, if the walking is an exception and no more than 20% of the workout.”

    My pace zones are walking speed – does the above mean that to run 80% I should be jogging really really slowly?

    #8226
    David Warden
    Keymaster

    KP,

    If you are using Pace for your intensity, the lower level speed should be your slowest jog. Meaning, if the workout calls for Zone 1, but you have to walk to stay in Zone 1, then Zone 2 while jogging is better.

    Two exception: First, Zone 1 after an interval. It’s OK to walk those recoveries for up to two minutes. Second, as described above, it’s OK to walk the Zone 1 segment if it makes up no more than 20% of the time, so just jog easy the other 80%.

    David

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.