Tagged: 70.3, off season, Olympic, Planning, reschedule
- This topic has 15 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 1 year, 12 months ago by David Warden.
November 19, 2020 at 2:30 pm #9322
Hey David and Matt, thanks for all what you do.
I have two situations here. I’ll try to be quick!
1. My wife and I are doing the Tri Oly L2. (Finishing this Sun)
Week #17 rather off (only some swimming) because she had a small pain behind the knee after a ride. She went to a physio #1 and recommended to stop running for some days and instead ride easily.
Week #18, I kept training as we had a race coming last Sun. She continued swimming and riding indoors in Z1 to check on the pain.
She had a couple of more physio and initially it was thought it had been the popliteus, but then she was told it was more the calf…
Second week of no running for her and all rides in Z1 and no much improvement. Kept swimming.
Week #18 I won my age group in the sprint and placed Top 10 (decided that distance due to the week #17 off and for testing my form) felt really well.
Week #19 She went (yesterday) to a different physio #2, she got acupuncture and was told it’s not major and it is muscular. She was given the green light to start training progressively.
We finish the Oly Plan this weekend.
We’ll have another race in 3 weeks (Dec 13th). She wants to go for the Sprint. I’ll go for the Oly this time.
• What should she do regarding training in order to readjust and be fine for December race?
• What should I do to maintain the good form gained until the race?
2. There are some more races coming I will like to race (we would like to race), but not sure about the volume (many races) and how to approach them training-wise. Also, there is a jump to 70.3 I would like to do.
70.3 / Jan 23rd (within 9wks)
Olympic / Feb 28th (14wks)
IM70.3 / March 6th (15wks)
Olympic / March 28th (18wks)
• Should I go for the 70.3 in Jan (taking advantage of the endurance built) or skip it and go for the one in March and use the Feb Oly as a “test”?
• How to approach the other short races?
I know it’s too much to answer… but I want to get the best of the season without burning myself (ourselves) out. I like training and racing smart, so I can go hard. I would like your wisdom 🙂
Much appreciated. And cheers from NZ.
Isabel & JoseNovember 19, 2020 at 2:46 pm #9323
I forgot to add that all those Oly races also have the Sprint distance available.
Thanks again.November 21, 2020 at 6:55 am #9329
– For your wife, I recommend she pick up at week 14 of the plan, then week 15, and then 19. Nothing but Zone 1-2 running for the first week, then low Zone 3 running is allowed for the second, and no Zone 4-5 for any week (replace with high Zone 3). No reason she can’t do the Oly.
– For you, repeat Week 18 2x, then Week 19 for the final week (3 weeks total).
– Skipping the Jan 23 70.3 is best, but dong it is not a terrible idea. You can pull this off with the 70.3 Level 1 plan. It won’t be your best 70.3 performance, but you’ll finish and the volume for the final 9 weeks increases naturally from the Oly volume you just finished.
– If you do skip the Jan 70.3, take a week off after the Dec Oly, then load your 70.3 plan (Level 2) for the March event and finish the final 14 weeks of that plan.
– The Feb Oly becomes a problem in any scenario. Just too close to the 70.3 the next week. The only way to do this race is all Zone 2 or low Zone X: it needs to be a 70.3 brick, not a Zone 3 Oly. If you race it Zone 3, it will significantly reduce your 70.3 performance.
– The March Oly is no problem. Take a week off after the 70.3, then use the last 2 weeks of the Oly plan.
What a fun 2021!
DaivdNovember 24, 2020 at 2:26 pm #9363
We are really thankful for your detailed answer and your support.
We’ll follow your instructions and let you know how it goes.
Isabel should get the green light for running tomorrow after her physio (fingers crossed). – She’s a bit worried she hasn’t run for a month…-
She’s also racing the 70.3 in March, so I assume all this applies to the both of us…
One additional question:
In case Isabel couldn’t race in 2 weeks, she just keeps with the plan described above, right?
Thanks again and keep in touch in case more questions arise.
Isabel & JoseNovember 24, 2020 at 5:56 pm #9366
If Isabel is not cleared to race, yes, she can continue with the plan as written BUT also consistent with her physio’s recommendation. For example, the physio might ask her to not run for a week or two. In this case, the running can be replaced with cycling. Isabel would perform the run workout as written, but on the bike instead.
DavidFebruary 10, 2021 at 8:04 am #10257
It feels like the last time we talk was yesterday but actually was November 2020!
Man, time is flying and we have only 4 weeks until our 70.3 in NZ.
Isabel & I had our race in Dec, took one week off and since then we haven’t stopped.
Training is going great, pretty solid blocks and wonderful sensations in the bricks and in general. Very excited indeed.
A couple of questions. Hope not too complicated.
• In week 16 (this week) we have a Tempo run on Sat, and a Swim-Bike-Run session on Sun, Rest day/strength and conditioning on Monday (image of week 16 ). For our logistics (pool access), it would work better to have the full brick on Sat and the RT on Sun. Would it be ok to swap these two days over or should we follow any instructions?
• In week 19, looks a bit complicated. (image of week 19 )
We’ll be travelling to the race venue on Tuesday (4.5h drive leaving at 1pm so it will be ideal to have this day off or accommodate a night swim) and we’re staying there until the race. Also, the race is on Saturday…
> The Sunday of week 18 (image of week 18) we’ll have a brick CAe2 RF6.
> Monday we have Rest/S&C, and on Tuesday CF9 & RFF4.
> Then on Saturday (race day) we have the last 3 quick sessions.
How could we reorganize all this?
We appreciate your time and help!
Isabel & JoseFebruary 12, 2021 at 5:50 pm #10428
Jose, great to hear from you again! Can you please confirm the Level of the 70.3 plan that you are using? I could probably figure this out myself based on your description, but I’m running behind in my correspondence replies and could use the extra 5 minutes of time!
DavidFebruary 13, 2021 at 2:10 am #10429
It’s the Level 2 – 70.3 we are using.
Apologies I didn’t put the details.
Thanks!February 13, 2021 at 4:57 pm #10434
For sure you can swap Saturday and Sunday’s workout. No concerns there.
For Week 19, remove the RF3, and move every other workout one day earlier from Thursday on. So:
– Mon, Tues as written
– Wed SSI1 and CFF
– Thur SCI1
– Fri brief swim, bike, run
DavidMarch 1, 2021 at 6:51 pm #10712
We are in week 19 IM70.3 L2. Yeah, taper week…
Our race was this coming Saturday but it was cancelled 2 days ago due to a Covid outbreak.
The great news is, today it’s been announced it will happen on the 27th March Saturday (3.5 weeks).
Can we ask you for your wisdom in order to reschedule and readjust our training until then?
Swimming pools are closed for now and hopefully until next Sunday only. We can go to the sea, do dry-land swimming and bands workouts too.
Isabel & Jose
NZMarch 1, 2021 at 7:07 pm #10713
Forgot to say, by the time I was writing this, it was Tuesday here. So I guess by the time you see it, it will be Wednesday already 🙂
Thanks again.March 2, 2021 at 6:28 pm #10734
I’m sorry about your cancellation but what how fortunate the delay is only 3.5 weeks!
To adjust, complete week 15 from Thursday forward. Then perform 17, 18, and 19. So, you are just skipping Week 16 and your 3.5 weeks comes from 1/2 a week of Week 15, then 17, 18, and 19 as scheduled.
DavidMarch 29, 2021 at 7:50 pm #11272
Thanks very very much for your support and recommendations!
Isabel & I are so happy we raced the IM70.3 NZ last Saturday and had a phenomenal day.
What a great race we had! We both got 7th in each of our Age Groups (35-39).
Beautiful conditions, awesome feelings and fitness. We finished fresh, made a wonderful effort, paced ourselves and executed the nutrition so well, learnt about this distance (which was the main goal of this race) and just can’t wait for the next!!
Just a note: I believe the Half IM Plan Level 2 worked fine and allowed us to perform well, but somehow I am pretty sure the L3 would have suited us much better. But hey, that’s part of the learning process. As said, looking forward to the next 70.3.
Improving our swim is our main focus. And the transitions… losing too much time there!
Now, we’re having this week off, as you recommended previously. Foam rolling, stretching… (can we do some easy swims)
• Then there is a final Olympic Tri on May 9th to close the NZ’s season.
• There is also a tempting Half Marathon on April 11th,
• and a possible 2km swim event on the 18th of April.
All that said, again we need your wisdom to best manage this. We’d love to do everything!! but we’d say the Oly is our focus to close the season…
Thanks again and you’ll see our names on the 80/20 Ambassadors list for sure.
We love 80/20!
Isabel & Jose
WE TeamMarch 31, 2021 at 4:17 pm #11290
Jose and Isabel,
Well done to both of you. What a power couple!
I’d load the plan with the Oly as the end date, as that appears to be your race priority. The HM needs to just be another training day, you really can’t taper for the HM and have a great performance at the Oly. The swim you can do without any changes and train that day as normal, if you want.
If you tell me the Oly level you are using, I can be more specific about what to adjust the week of the HM and swim.
DavidApril 2, 2021 at 3:51 pm #11306
We’re using the Oly L2. So there are 5 weeks till the last tri race (9th May).
Re HM, we don’t know yet. Probably it is better to miss it this time so that we have a good Tri race. There will be plenty of HMs in the “off season = winter” we could do for fun.
Now, the question is, what should we do after the 9th?
• We’ll be working a lot on our swimming with a coach.
• Plus want to focus on a really good strength build up.
• We’ll do some casual rides and runs but nothing too competitive or strenuous.
Happy to load a maintenance plan, but we follow your advice.
The season where in NZ starts again around September.
Thanks again David!
Isabel & Jose
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.